Tuesday, July 31, 2007

no goal for me

For a few days, I have been thinking about something I read in "My Utmost for His Highest" by Oswald Chambers. It is the idea that God has no goal for my life that He is working to bring me toward. What??? No goal? But Jeremiah tells me that He has plans for me - plans for good and not evil. If God has no Great Goal where my life will eventually end up, then what? How is He a force in my life? What about those plans? Oh, God has plans for me, but they are not "achievable" the way a goal is. I will not, one day, realize, "I've arrived! This is it." No, God's dealings in my life are much more intimate than a goal. He "walks on the chaos of my life," as Oswald Chambers put it. His plans for me involve right now, not just a distant future. Somehow, I find this very comforting. I don't need to panic that I have not reached a goal. I can find peace and joy in the chaos that is my life as I watch God "walking right on top." And I can walk on it too - I can step out of the boat, like Peter, and walk right on top, keeping my eyes on the One who knows more about me and my life than I do! Oh, it is not the goal that God is interested in, but the process. And He is teaching me right here in the middle of full vaccuum bags, trips to the library, and cereal crumbs - teaching me to view the world in new ways, about myself and the possibility of change, and about His definition of success. This is why I am here. This is my purpose; to learn, to grow, to love.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i love love love you. xo

Anonymous said...

hahah ps. did you think about this posting as your "goal post"? nyuk nyuk nyuk.

Anonymous said...

it's awesome i love it :)
see you soon.