Thursday, March 15, 2007

Learning about myself.

This work stuff is harder than I thought it would be. Don't get me wrong; I love working with Colin. And, most of the time, I really enjoy the people I work with. Last night, however, I had an employee walk out (stomp out?) during his shift, saying it was because of me! me?! Now, we've seen this coming since I started as assistant manager, because it was the position he wanted, and he never thought I should have been made assistant from the beginning. He constantly tried to find things I was doing wrong and pull them up to me in front of everyone. But, I had a pretty high estimation of how I was handling it all. In my mind, I was the poster girl for a kind, sweet, reasonable boss. But with all that has happened recently, and with a little prompting from my loving, but objective husband, I am considering that I wasn't always as reasonable as I thought. One thing I have always detested is when people are condescending. And yet, in retrospect, when I felt it was justified, that is exactly how I was. I didn't ever see myself as being "the tough one." But working with Colin is making that pretty obvious to me. I guess I have this view that "these are the rules, they make sense and are reasonable, so if you go against them, you are being defiant". Even my first memo, I am told, was much "harder" than any of Colin's. I was ok with that, because I think sometimes he is a bit wishywashy. I know it takes both personalities and we compliment each other, but I am surprised at myself. I am surprised that I am sometimes unreasonable. I appreciate Colin for pointing out that, although I was justified, I wasn't completely reasonable. And I was that way because I was feeling a bit out of my element in having to deal with an employee acting like a 3 year old. I totally wasn't compassionate. Ok, I'm not sure if any of this actually makes sense, but I just needed to get it out in words. And after doing so, I feel like I have some direction. After all, if compassion is what I need, there is only One who can give it. Jesus. And He does not give it in a condescending way or a repremanding one, He will just give it. I need to immerse myself in Him, to cover myself with His words and learn from His perfection. Yet another example of how Jesus is the answer to alllllll my problems.

5 comments:

Kathleen said...

I am so impressed with how things are working out at your job! I am also impressed with how well you and Colin work together. I am not sure I could do that. I am too insecure to accept criticism from my husband in such an objective manner. I guess I need to grow up and not take it so personally. I really do think that you would make a good boss because you keep the real object in mind and don't get sidetracked with side issues. Keep it up. No one always gets it right every time. Way to go!! I am proud of you.

Anonymous said...

yaaaaay!! i'm so happy you have a blog! i LOVE hearing about your life and it's kind of healthy to vent or confess or both.
i think maybe we suffer from the same thing - when i think of myself as one way, even if i change i don't realize, or it seems to take a long time to wrap my mind around that. i think i get stuck in the trap of thinking if someone labels me as something, i'm going to be that for life. so if someone tells me i'm a good supervisor - well, i'm unable to assess myself objectively after that, even if i change from then.
weird.
i love your blog, i love you so much, you are absolutely wonderful and i'm glad you don't have to work with a stompy employee who acts like a 3 year old. (although laurie would make a pretty cute pizza maker ...)
i miss you so much. i hope you have a great day. i'll salt for you today!!
xoxox

Anonymous said...

hi joey! i love it and i'm thrilled you're writing.
love you.

jennypo said...

It is so hard to be a boss. I try to remember that when my boss is driving me CRAZY.
I haven't thought of you being rules-oriented and unreasonable for a looooooong time, but you know what? When we aren't being controlled by Jesus, it is shocking how horrible we are! I got a good look at myself a few years ago, and I hope I never forget what I saw. It makes what God wants to do with me reasonable, and it makes the cost bearable. What still bothers me is how much worse I am than other people. There are lots of people who don't even know Jesus who are naturally better than me - which just reminds me of that verse in 1Corinthians that tells about God choosing the weak things of the world. By any estimation, I know my life would have been a big flop had God not picked me out of the trash heap. And then I am reminded of how lovely Jesus is!
Everytime God gives you a good look at who you are naturally, take it, but don't stop there. Let it always lead you to who Christ is. Then you will understand why he wants you to die so that he can live in you. Then you will feel that it is worth the pain.

jennypo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.