Tuesday, April 24, 2007

small miracle

We had a small miracle at our house today. It all started with Ashlin's missing agenda and math homework for school. I didn't realize they were missing until Monday morning. Colin and I were both at work when she came home from school on Friday. So, that evening when I checked her backpack, I just assumed that she hadn't brought anything home. Monday morning we turned the house upside down looking for them. All day Monday, and again this morning it weighed heavy on my mind - where could they be? I checked all of the crazy, just-maybe spots. Being overtired, way too busy and just overwhelmed, I didn't think to ask God for help. I just bulled my way through the house looking everywhere. Still no homework books. Tonight Colin decided enough was enough. He had prayed this morning that God would guide us to find them, but it wasn't His timing. Tonight, he sat on Ashlin's bed and prayed, "God, here is an opportunity to teach my little girl that You are real, and that You do care about even the little things. Please, if it is Your will, show me where those books are." When Colin lifted up his head from praying, his eyes rested on Ashlin's pink Barbie suitcase sitting in her room where it usually sits. "Naw," he thought, "she would have remembered if she had put them there...." Still, he opened the suitcase and Voila! the case of the missing homework was solved. I know this is only a small miracle, and some would even call it coincidence - I don't believe in coincidences, only God-incidences. My lesson for the day - pray first. That doesn't mean God is a "magic wishing fairy", but He cares about even the little things - how much more the big things that have me stressed out! How I needed that lesson. I've been trying to "do it all" myself - not very successfully, I might add. What a wonderful end to a stressful day.

3 comments:

Kathleen said...

Dear Joeyanne;
As soon as I read "pink Barbie suitcase", I remembered Ashlin putting her homework in there.I questioneed her about it, but she said that she was going to use it from now on instead of her backpack. I wish I had remembered that when you called me, but then you wouldn't have had the experience of God showing her that He cares about all our problems. What an awesome thing for Colin to do to share that experience with his daughters!
Love you,
Mom

jennypo said...

It is indeed comforting to remember that God may not care about homework, but he cares that we know him.

Anonymous said...

have you heard sarah maclaughlin's song "ordinary miracle"? it always reminds me how God is always giving us His help in little and big things - it's pretty, you should make someone get it for you :D