Friday, August 24, 2007

truck lights

I was listening to the radio on my way home from work last night; I always listen to CBC radio on the way home, and Thursdays are my favorite - Vinyl Cafe. Yesterday, it was about this man who came in the 50's to northern Canada as a missionary from France. It was before telephones or television up there, so he became very close to the people. On the program, a poem was read that this man had written called, "Truck Lights." The poem was like a story about a trip he took with one of the village elders. At one point on the long dark drive, the elder said, "You know, driving a truck is a lot like faith in God." The author pondered this statement for a while before asking what he meant. Basically, what the elder explained was that when they started the truck and turned on the lights, they could only see 100 feet in front of them and there was still 100 kilometers of darkness between them and their destination. As they put the truck into gear and drove, however, the lights continued to light up the road in front of them - just enough road for them to go further. They never saw the whole 100 kms lit up at once. That, he said, is like having faith in God. He never shows us the end before we get there. He just lights enough for us to take another step. Then, when we do, our way is lit from there.
I thought this was a brilliant analogy. (pun intended). God certainly doesn't expect us to have blind faith. However, He doesn't light up our entire path so we can see the end at the beginning. He gives us just enough understanding/faith/light to see our next move. I liked this right now because my life is a bit up in the air at the moment. Some days I question God - "Where is this going?" "What are Your plans?" "How is this going to make sense?" But it is not mine to know the end, only the next step. I guess that's what faith is. Trusting, based on who I know God to be, that I will arrive at a destination; that I am not just driving all over the tundra aimlessly. I entrust the destination to Him and just take each step as it comes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

totally feeling it, jdog. God is - GOD the CREATOR - He made the whole massive everything, and He cares about you - about your life, about your house, about your move - how can anything stand in the way? i've really been worrying about the patch beyond the headlights lately - God woke me up last week and reminded me that He is in control, and i don't need to worry.