Tuesday, November 17, 2009

excitement at esl

I had such a fun night at esl tonight. Unfortunately, there was one scary(at the time, but funny now) moment. We were sitting discussing our vocabulary words - always a long task with any Spanish-speakers in the class - and Yeoung Jeoung (sp?) casually mentions, "Oh, there's a rat." It was so casual, that I didn't believe him. But as he continued to look past me into the kitchen (to which our classroom is linked with a doorway, with no door), I jumped up squealing, tore open the door, and ran out into the main room where David's class was being held. They all looked at me (mildly, I thought), as I jumped up on a table, still squealing about the mouse. I was the ONLY one who was the least bit scared. Yeoung Jeoung and Christopher were truly surprised that I insisted we move to the next classroom which had a door. I had a good opportunity to explain the word, "phobia." I'm still surprised about the lack of mass-panic. But Christopher explained that one of the most common dishes in Columbia is guinea pig. yummy.

2 comments:

janelle said...

yucko! at least they didn't kill it and eat it like they do in zambia. rodent appetizers - yick!

Anonymous said...

maybe this will inspire them to bring a snake next class.