Thursday, July 19, 2007

love's sweet repose

"But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us, Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved;) And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus: That in the ages to come he might show the exceeding riches of his grace in his kindness toward us through Christ Jesus. For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast." Ephesians 2:4-9
I am thankful that my place in heavenly places, together with Christ Jesus, is not dependant on me. I battle within myself. I do what I don't want to do, I don't do what I want to do. I can not merit the place in heaven that Christ gives. But his grace and kindness to me makes me want to do those things that will bring Glory to Him!! I am shown something greater than self - and pleasing self. The love wherewith he loved me is pure and true and unconditional. It gives me a glimpse of that true love, devoid of self, that is worth striving for. The love that gives and doesn't take. The love that builds up, purifies, and refreshes the recipient. It is the opposite of lust - the currency of this world - because there is no self in it. It requires nothing and gives inspiration, hope and beauty. When we experience true love, we will never trade it for lust. Lust is not even a predecessor to love. It is filled with self and need and greed. It deceives by acting like it will give and fulfill, but it leaves only emptiness and sorrow. Love gives at a cost to the giver and with no cost or requirement to the receiver.
"Be ye therefore followers of God, as dear children; And walk in love, as Christ also hath loved us, and hath given himself for us an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweetsmelling savour." Ephesians 5:1-2

1 comment:

jennypo said...

Oh, lovely, our God who, in different ways, to different personalities with different experiences, has revealed Himself the Same. Every one of your words has an echo in my heart. It is a great comfort to me to know that a door I entered alone has been entered by many others, also alone. My faith in Him, and my understanding of him, is not an individual experience, though I experienced it individually. You have come a different way through the same door, to the same dear God. One God, no other, yet wonderful in variety of means and facets and in his ability to meet us singly!
He is no dream, no imagination, no projection of my own personality. You, who are so different from me, know him too!
Thank you for your struggle to know him, to communicate him. Doesn't this verification make all of our difficulties understanding each other worthwhile? Neither personality nor experience could have given us an absolutely concordant understanding of the God we have each encountered - only a real experience with a real God could ever have allowed your understanding to match mine. He is the one who now binds us together.
You are my blood sister, but blood and shared experience failed to unite us in a common understanding. Jesus has united our understanding perfectly. I am so thankful for you, my spirit-sister! And you make me thankful for Him...