Saturday, January 17, 2009

let me be a plant

For there is hope of a tree, if it be cut down, that it will sprout again, and that the tender branch thereof will not cease. Though the root thereof wax old in the earth, and the stock thereof die in the ground; Yet through the scent of water it will bud, and bring forth boughs like a plant. Job 14: 7-9

I was struck with this small passage, not in the way Job intended as he wrote it, but with the idea of new life. If the tree of my life needs to be cut down - if it is rotton with sin or diseased with self, then let me be a plant to the glory of God. I feel that this is a promise from God. I may need to be cut down, and the result may look like nothing but a stump - I may be a fool! But beneath that stump will grow a bud, that will bring forth boughs like a plant. And, oh, to be a plant for God is greater than to be a tree, full of sin and self!!

2 comments:

janelle said...

i love your blog! i hadn't read it forever. i'm so glad that God has planted us in the same garden :). xox

Anonymous said...

I enjoy reading your thoughts. Your longings are so much like mine. I pray that you will be "like a tree planted by the rivers of water".